Tuesday 4 December 2012

Metamorphosis

I can't really say this reading way new to me; I've had to read it several times in different classes and as such I didn't really encounter new vocabulary,  I'll list a few words i found interested however, and we can pretend they are vocabulary.
Circumstances
Occupational Illness
Muster
Aversion
Confirmation

As to a general plot line;
At first Gregor is simply lying in bed contemplating his situation in life, and then when he tried to get up for work...he finds himself a different shape altogether than normal!

His family grows frightened of him as he continues to remain in his room, eventually his sister even gives up cleaning his room.

He unwittingly scares his mother and sister with the mess he's amassed as he slowly refuses to eat anything but garbage when the only family member who will still attend him (his sister,) bring him his meal(s).

One day he breaks out of his room, as it has become as much of a refuge for him as a prison from his family, to make it into the living room.  Gregor tries to hide from his alarmed family members but his father strikes him with an apple, which after embedded, Gregor suffers from as a wound for over a month.

Eventually and at last, when Gregor's family verbally acknowledged that the from Gregor has become could not be Gregor, and that they cannot take living with an abomination at home; Gregor dies.  He dies after reentering his room and hearing his family agree aloud that something has to be done about him, that his sister, the only one to help him in Gregor's mind, had been in such a hurry to lock him in his room it alarmed him.  He just sort of, faded away after that.  His life seemed to leave him after an exhalation of breath.



Work

For this paper and ink only solution, I decided to follow the dark color scheme I imagined as I read this story.  I felt the bedroom set would definitely be of a very simple, masculine nature given the characters had a bit of money for preference and that Gregor was a man in a time when manly bed sets were permissible.

I created layers for the sheets and blankets on the bed as they are described in the story, using a bug dotted pattern atop the blanket as a symbol for the actually physical metamorphosis that Gregor undergoes the first night of the story as he transforms from man to bug. The bed was specifically significant to me because Gregor did awake in the bed transformed which mean the transformation itself too place under that blanket, in the bed.

I made a simple dresser as Gregor is described as looking through his things to try to reminisce about being a man for a bit.  I created a scroll, a book and some fake cloths to represent his things.



These two pictures show the textures I tried to convey while constructing this set.  I felt that as a bug, textures would be a very important feature of his furniture with the diminished visual acuity that being a cockroach presents. 








This shot is my favorite  at this angle, the special qualities of the humanistic belongings of Gregor in the chest  is highlighted.   This is the last holdout as Gregor transforms mentally more and more away from his human self.


A shot showing the containment of the setting.  Showing how small his world now is.  The hidden nature of Gregor against the last frontier. 




A shot just showing the layers of the bedding. 


A different angle from Gregor's view.



Gregor himself I created under the bed.  As I had imagined the bed-set early on in the story, as his room is still within reasonable hygienic circumstances, I imagined him as he would be under the bed and hiding from his sister. He didn't wish to frighten her, but he still wanted to watch her.
 This photo in particular I tried to overemphasize the shadows, the finalization of this transformation in order to better communicate the bleakness of the situation.




No comments:

Post a Comment